Saturday, April 14, 2012
I spent most of the day in the garden, it wasn't as sunny, but it wasn't raining either, so out I went. I was motivated by needing to dig up a few Willamette hops starts for a neighbor. As I started into that project, it came to me that it was time to renew/replant the bed with the hops. Like I've mentioned before, the bed was a mess, from a combination of half measures, construction and time. Perennial beds do need a bit of care. I managed to get about half of it dug, the second half is either about to bloom or is just coming up and perhaps delicate. The monkshood, English hyacinths, and primroses are in buckets and pots until replanting. The Erythronium (wild and domestic) are still in the bed as is the deep blue pulmonaria and Epimedium.
One thing I'd really like to share is the following "DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PLANT AEGOPODIUM (BISHOPS WEED) IN YOUR GARDEN. Okay, maybe just not if you don't want it to take over the planet. I'm sure it has it uses in places as a ground cover, but it is a very successful plant, so beware.
Also managed to get the compost completely turned. It looks wonderful, full of worms and is odor free. In the bottom of the pile I found about 20 newts, many centipedes and a two snails. I added 4 buckets to the raspberries, 1 to the rhubarb and 1/2 to the peony. The rest, I'll let cook a bit more then add to the gardens.
Started clearing out the greenhouse as well; the first task was removing (with care) the 18 very rotten chicken eggs found under the shelf. Managed to get by with only two broken ones (stuck to the floor and broke when I pulled them up). Green slime! Well, got things cleared enough to put some of the seed starts out there. Was tempted to put everything, but the basil and tomatoes probably won't be happy out there yet.
Posted by Kitty at 10:20 PM
Monday, April 9, 2012
At last, I'm getting to spend a bit of time in the garden. "Getting" is a bit strong; choosing is more appropriate. The weather has moderated; summer birds are arriving and the garden soil seems to be warming up. There is much to do; new cedar boards for the vegetable beds, redoing the garden that was in the construction zone last summer and continuing to move the trees and shrubs from the various nursery sites (typically vegetable beds) into more suitable and perhaps permanent homes. Probably don't need birch or white spruce in the vegie beds.
Also on the list is expanding the garden to the northwest of the woodshed. Had a trio of very useful sawyers out this winter making firewood out of downed trees and a few medium sized second growth so that there might be room for expansion.
Although the to do list is very long; have started some seeds; tomatoes (bloody butcher and red pear), american flag leeks, broccoli, romaine and buttercrunch lettuce, and basil.
Posted by Kitty at 11:04 PM